Types of Holsters for Women
If you’ve spent any time looking at holsters, you already know there are countless options to choose from.
- Waistband Holster: IWB and OWB: The most popular type of holsters, and generally considered the best concealed carry holster for women or men is a waistband holster. While this is the most comfortable and convenient way to conceal carry, it’s also the most dangerous:
- First, your pistol is significantly harder and slower to access. And when seconds count, that can mean the difference between life and death.
- There are two types of waistband holsters: inside the waistband (IWB) and outside the waistband (OWB).
- An inside the waistband holster is for inside the waistband of your pants. These holsters typically have a clip that fastens to your belt, while the gun and holster sit between your pants and body & are the most popular for concealed carry for a couple of reasons:
- They’re accessible, safe, and mostly customizable.
- Anyone can successfully conceal them, and they’re reasonably comfortable as well.
- You can choose which position along your waistband you want to carry in, which is great for people have a variety and assortment of different styles & just like to mix it up a lot or carry in a variety of settings.
- OWB holsters are essentially the same as IWB holsters, except that they sit on the outside of your waistband. These holsters sometimes have a clip or loops that fasten to a belt or just the pants, with the gun and holster exposed on the outside of your body.
- These holsters are often used for open carry, but can be used for concealed carry with the use of a cover garment like a jacket or a shirt. While not only being exceptionally comfortable; there is zero contact between the gun and skin along with being very accessible when it comes to drawing.
- Off Body Carry: “Off body” is any form of carry that is not on your physical self. This includes carrying in a purse, backpack, or MOLLE as a few examples & which many find more convenient as many woman already carry some sort of bag/purse/backpack on a daily basis, and it’s just easier than having to squeeze a firearm under your clothing. Another thing to consider is what happens if your purse or bag gets stolen; you also lose your firearm. It’s also a lot harder to control who may gain access your purse and get a hold of your firearm especially if you have kids. If you are going to conceal carry in your purse or bag; make sure that you either invest in a concealed carry purse that has a built-in holster and a dedicated compartment and is of high quality. Or, fasten a proper holster, like our ShapeShift Pocket Holster so you have proper retention and your gun isn't bouncing around all day.
Another lesser-known concealed carry holster style is the pocket holster. These are specifically designed so you can easily conceal a smaller pistol in the front pocket of your pants, or even in a jacket or vest.
*Please note: This holster configuration is not compatible with the included ShapeShift Thumb Release attachment.
- Super slim and easy to conceal inside front pocket
- Customizable Retention Unit to suit your draw style
- Compatible with the ShapeShift Modular Holster System
Life is unpredictable. Be prepared—always.
That's why we're introducing the ShapeShift Pocket Holster. It's our slimmest holster yet, specifically designed for front pocket carry.
The compact size of the injection-molded ShapeShift shell fits easily and comfortably in your pocket, while the pocket hook disguises the shape of your pocket gun and prevents the holster from detaching from your pocket when you draw.
Customize your holster to your draw. This patent-pending holster is designed with adjustable retention—tool-free passive tension that is easily modifiable using the twist locks on the holster. The thumb press provides traction for your thumb to push off of while you draw, releasing your handgun from the holster in one easy motion.
We’ve made our Pocket Holster safer than other pocket holsters by providing a trigger guard that covers the trigger entirely from both sides, and the ultra-strength polymer prevents any pressure from being applied to the trigger itself, so you don’t have to worry about it being accidentally pressed.
The pocket holster works with every micro and subcompact Shift Shell, plus most compact and full size Shift Shells! Select your handgun from the list by using the drop-down list below. Once your firearm and preferred handedness are selected, you’re ready to proceed to checkout.
Here at Alien Gear Holsters, we believe in crafting our holsters with only the highest-quality materials. We put all of our holsters through a 19-Point Torture Test to make sure our holsters will last you a lifetime.
Our American-made holsters are backed with our Forever Warranty, along with a 30-day Test Drive to make sure it’s the right holster for you.
Order yours today for protection that fits directly—and comfortably—into your pocket.
SAFETY NOTE: Do not reholster your handgun with your holster still in your pocket.
The belly band is one of the most popular concealed carry holsters for women, simply because of how versatile and comfortable they are and we have 2 options available:
* Shell swaps are not available on our Low-Pro holsters due to being purposefully designed for the slimmest fit possible
** This product is not available for optic-capable firearms at this time, due to the design. We apologize for the inconvenience.
“Does Alien Gear have a hard shell belly band holster?” Well, now we do. Incorporating the same design and ingenuity from our existing holster lines, the new Low-Pro line from Alien Gear begins with our new Belly Band Holster. Providing the comfort and reliability of our IWB holsters into a wraparound design secured by hook and loop, the Low-Pro Belly Band is our lowest profile holster yet. The Low-Pro Belly Band Holster is perfect for any outdoor activity and features:
- Custom molded thermoplastic shell* for ultimate security
- Vented neoprene with padded backing for ultimate comfort
- Patented spring steel core
- Naturally canted draw angle
- 30-Day test drive
- 3 Year warranty
Not seeing your firearm configuration with our Alien Gear Low-Pro Belly Band Holster? The look no further as we also have our Sport Tuck Belly Band Expansion Pack which can be utilized with the following IWB Holsters:
This product does not include an Alien Gear IWB Holster. If you do not already have an Alien Gear IWB holster, you can bundle this purchase and save 20% on your Sport Tuck Belly Band Holster today!
The Sport Tuck Belly Band lets you carry concealed when a belt isn't practical. However, this isn't your average belly band.
Alien Gear Holsters doesn't settle for just making another version of the same thing. We only make holsters that are better than those that came before. This will be the best belly band that you've tried on.
The Sport Tuck belly band isn't a girdle with a pouch sewn in it like most belly bands are. This is a belt that fits totally inside the waistband that enables you to carry your pistol with a compatible iwb holster.
You can also add accessory pouches, including a cell phone pouch and/or a magazine pouch as well.
How the Sport Tuck Belly Band is used is simple, but ingenious. Inside the waistband are two nylon web loops, stitched together with military-grade stitch thread. You slip the belt clips of your Alien Gear Holsters' IWB over the loops, hanging the holster from the belt.
Fasten the belt, and pull your favorite activewear shorts or pants over it and you're good to go. You can wear basketball shorts, sweat pants, track pants or what have you; use it as a belly band holster for running, lifting or any active sport. Some users report that it can even double as a lifting belt.
The Sport Tuck band is a three-inch belt. It's padded with CoolVent Neoprene, our ventilated moisture-wicking padding fabric. It breathes against the skin, and wicks away moisture to keep you comfortable. The edges are bound for further comfort. The outer layer is durable nylon webbing.
For fastening, you thread the belt end through the hard polymer loop and pull tight. Fasten with industrial strength hook-and-loop fabric. The hook and loop fabric is good for more than 3,000 fastening cycles before any loss of tensile strength, so you can expect years of use.
The Sport Tuck Belly Band is made in the USA. We back this product with our Iron-Clad Guarantee, including a 30 Day Test Drive trial period after purchase and our Three Year Warranty.
Another common carry style is the ankle holster & are designed to be strapped around your ankle, and some even come with a calf support and/or some extra padding for added comfort but will only accommodate boots/shoes up to 6" in height.
Our ShapeShift Ankle Holster has the following features:
- Special streamlined design enhances concealability and allows you to carry with full size guns.
- Made up of two pieces that work together to provide support and prevent slipping or moving.
- Unique and durable materials are immediately ready to use—no break in time!
For those who sit for long periods every day, or would prefer to keep their waistline free, the ankle holster is the concealed carry option for you. Alien Gear Holsters has developed a breakthrough ankle holster design that rises above competitors.
Following suit of Alien Gears’ other award-winning holsters, the ShapeShift Ankle Holster focuses on comfort and security.
Made almost entirely of CoolVent™ neoprene and low profile hook and loop fasteners, this ankle holster is lightweight, requires zero break-in time, and hugs against the ankle for all-day comfort and concealment.
An upper and lower wrap work together to provide stability and security. The lower wrap hooks around the heel of the foot, and goes over the ankle where it locks into place with an adjustable elastic strap.*
The upper wrap has a premium engineered polymer spine, formed to mirror the shape of the carriers’ ankle. This piece hooks into the lower strap, locking the holster in place and preventing it from sliding down the ankle. The spine connects to a thermo elastomer piece, which supports the holster’s shell and allows for six ride height levels.
The ShapeShift Ankle Holster’s unique design removes the need for a calf strap or garter, and will keep the holster from moving around or sliding down.
Every ShapeShift holster’s shell is injection-molded, fitting your firearm perfectly without any bulk or excess material. This enhances concealability and allows for a new type of retention that locks your firearm into the ankle holster with unquestionable security.
This adjustable, ultra-secure retention sets the ShapeShift Ankle Holster above other ankle holsters; Its open-mouth design makes for the fastest unobstructed draw. While most ankle holsters can only support compact or smaller handguns, we are proud to say you can carry your full size gun with the ShapeShift Ankle Holster.*
Enjoy compatibility with a wide range of OWB, IWB and tactical holsters with the ShapeShift Modular Holster System. Shift quickly and easily from the Ankle Holster to the Paddle Holster or Molle Holster, dependent on your need.
The Shapeshift Ankle Holster is backed with a Three Year Warranty. Try this American-made holster now with our 30-Day Test Drive.
*We recommend wearing this holster over mid-length socks for extra comfort. However, if you choose not to, the holster is lined with perforated CoolVent™ neoprene, which utilizes moisture-wicking technology.
There is also our Ankle Holster for Women (men can wear too) which is Universal with the following features:
- Available in two sizes to fit most body types:
- Sewn in Grip-Strip™ keeps your firearm in place
- Breathable neoprene padding for comfort
- Includes covered trigger guard for added safety
Shoulder holsters, sometimes referred to as “cross-draw holsters,” are designed to wrap around your shoulders, placing your pistol on the opposite side of your drawhand just under your armpit with a multitude of designs out there. Some of them hold your gun vertically, others horizontally, and there are even those that are designed specifically for women.
Both of our Shapeshift Shoulder & Cloak Shoulder Holsters have a variety of ways the cant can be set as seen here:
Our ShapeShift Shoulder Holster has the following features:
- Universal Fit—Adjusts to virtually any body style in a few simple steps
- Customizable Design—Optimize your retention and draw angle in seconds
- Breathable Comfort—Stay cool and comfortable with breathable CoolVent™ Neoprene.
Ordinary shoulder holsters are bulky, uncomfortable and needlessly expensive. The straps dig into your skin and traditional all-leather shoulder holsters tend to break down over time. For some carriers, leaving the house without their firearm is a better option than being weighed down by an uncomfortable shoulder holster. When you leave your shoulder carry holster at home, you leave behind the feeling of safety and confidence that comes with carrying a firearm.
We understand how important it is to be prepared for any life-threatening situation. That’s why we’ve modernized the classic shoulder carry style to bring you more comfort and concealment than any other with the best shoulder holster on the planet.
This American-made holster is fully compatible with the ShapeShift Modular Holster System and can be customized to suit your shoulder carry needs right here on this page. Choose to carry two firearms, one firearm and two magazines, or a variety of other carry combinations. If you already have Cloak Mag Carriers, easily attach them to this modular holster in seconds.
After spending three years in development, we’ve designed a hybrid shoulder holster that combines form-fitting materials with a slim, ultra-concealable design. Breathable CoolVent™ Neoprene lines the inside of each adjustable shoulder pad, keeping you cool and comfortable all-day long. For a classy, sophisticated finish, this shoulder holster is handcrafted with full grain English Bridle leather, which is edge bound for enhanced comfort.
Firearm security is at the forefront of this holster’s design. To keep your handgun safe, this Level 2 Holster provides two optional retention devices: an adjustable retention unit and a thumb release that mounts to your shell. The Cloak Mag Carriers also offer adjustable passive retention if you choose to add these magazine buckets to your shoulder holster.
Adjusting typical shoulder rigs to fit your body can be tricky and tedious. With the ShapeShift, each strap can be easily adjusted to fit most body types. If you’re not happy with the fit of your shoulder holster, send it back within the first 30 days for a hassle-free refund.
Our holsters undergo a thorough design and testing process. As a promise to you, we back every American-made product with our Forever Warranty. If anything breaks on your holster for any reason, we’ll repair or replace it for free. Feel confident, prepared and protected with the ShapeShift Shoulder Holster by your side.
Our Cloak Shoulder Holster is for people who want to carry with the Alien Gear Holsters shoulder holster design, but don't carry a firearm supported in the ShapeShift shell system.
You get the same leather shoulder holster harness system of the ShapeShift model, but the holster itself has been configured for use with our Cloak series of shells. This gives you far more choice in terms of pistols you can carry...and the benefit of being able to use select laser or light attachments.
If you want a 1911 shoulder holster, but can't use your Commander or Officer frame with the ShapeShift? No problem there.
Need a Glock 19 shoulder holster that can accommodate a pistol with a light or laser attachment? We have you covered.
You won't find a more comfortable holster for shoulder holster concealed carry. The straps are padded with CoolVent neoprene, providing cushioning. The holster and magazine carrier base pads are also padded.
The straps are also adjustable so you can find the perfect fit, making this possibly the best shoulder holster you can find for tailoring it to fit you correctly. This is a common failing with many other shoulder holster designs.
The holster straps also include belt hooks. These let you anchor the shoulder holster straps to your belt, keeping them close to your body, better for concealment.
The holster and magazine base pads are adjustable for cant angle as well. If you wish to carry it as a vertical shoulder holster you can, or horizontal, or at some point in between.
A custom-molded retention shell is attached to the holster base pad, made for the exact make and model pistol shoulder holster you need. Passive retention is adjustable by tightening or loosening the mounting hardware, or even customizing it with the included Parts Pack. There is also a thumb break for active retention.
The Cloak Shoulder Holster is made in the USA, and comes backed by our Iron-Clad Guarantee. This includes a 30 Day Test Drive trial period after purchase, and our Forever Warranty for the lifetime of the holster. We'll even trade retention shells with you if you trade in your gun for a new model.