Here we will discuss the different Cloak Tuck IWB options. While the designs and footprint of the holsters are all very similar there are differences, some subtle and some not so subtle, between the platforms. This should help you understand the differences.
Our Cloak Tuck options are:
Hand Molded Boltaron Shell (Used on any Cloak Series Holsters)
- These shells make up over 95% of our Cloak Shell line up. We use heat and pressure to hand mold these shells and then trim and polish them to a nice fit and finish. We tested this material against many others to make sure it would not scratch or mar most finishes used on firearms. This material is very similar to Kydex but has a less grainy texture and a stronger tensile strength to prevent flex. They are also fully covered by our Iron-Clad Triple Guarantee.
Injection Molded Shell (Used on any Cloak Series Holsters)
- These shells are available for most of our top selling pistol models for right hand draw and make up about 20 of our 800+ offerings for cloak shells. They are injection molded using a premium polymer blend similar to the polymer used for the grips of many pistols. We tested this material against many others to make sure it would not scratch or mar most finishes used on firearms. They are also fully covered by our Iron-Clad Triple Guarantee.
- All screws have a thread pitch of 8/32. Depending on which Cloak Series product you get, you will receive varying lengths of screws. Be sure that whichever size you use, that the threads do not push through the other side. This can be extremely uncomfortable and can put holes in the CoolVent™ neoprene.
- Offset Washers. These are only needed with the hand molded shells. Injection Molded Shells will have the offset shape built into the screw holes.
- Spacers. These come in black or green but should come with green spacers for all Cloak Tuck IWB holsters. These will crush over time and are also fully covered by our Iron-Clad Triple Guarantee.
Our Original Cloak Tuck is our first holster offering. It is a hybrid holster with a Boltaron shell and leather base. The base is made of 10oz-12oz cow hide, English bridal leather. They come with tan, brown or black options for color. The leather is drum dyed and should not weep or bleed when exposed to moisture. T-nuts are installed and what you see is what you get. There is nothing on the back of this base between you and the leather and hardware. For folks that love the durability and tried and true dependability of leather this is foundation of our IWB Cloak Tuck design. Leather is not breathable like our later IWB iterations.
Our Cloak Tuck 2.0 came out in July 2014. It was our first attempt at adding comfort to an already preferred carry method. The Cloak Tuck 2.0 was a fully composite hybrid holster option. We started with wet suit grade neoprene (Non perforated), added a layer of ABS plastic to add rigidity and a faux leather layer for your pistol to rest against. T-nuts wear still exposed to the body but the neoprene added a level of comfort that the leather option did not offer. There are still many of these in play today but our R&D team knew they could improve.
Our Cloak Tuck 3.0 was offered in June of 2015. This base kept the same footprint as CT (Cloak Tuck) original and CT 2.0 but made some significant material changes. The diver grade neoprene was kept but we covered most of the hardware for comfort. The 3.0 used a propel nut on either side to attach the clips and deleted the T-nuts to reduce weight. We also replaced the ABS with a layer of Spring steel. We wrapped the spring steel in ballistic nylon to ensure it wouldn't cut through and then covered all of that with an "Alien Skin" patterned, Thermoplastic Elastomer that we tested against six thousand test draws to ensure durability and that it would not mar pistols over time when properly cleaned and maintained.
Our Cloak Tuck 3.5 was offered in March of 2018. It was the result of us taking as many design innovations that we could from the ShapeShift 4.0 IWB and applying those to the Cloak Tuck 3.0. This means we added edge binding, CoolVent™ neoprene and tool-less clips to the Cloak Tuck 3.0 design.
The edge binding helps keep the layers held neatly together and avoid the material around the edge from rolling up over time and use. The CoolVent™ neoprene provides added comfort by allowing a little more air flow between you and your holster reducing heat and sweat and the tool-less clips eliminate the need to frequently check and tighten the hardware holding your clips to your holster base.